You may have noticed the various coats of arms dotted around the nave and outer aisles of the church. These belonged to the prominent families of Prescot around the time of the 1610 build. They were the families who held the leasehold for the aforementioned horsebox pews and so had to right to place their coat of arms above their pews.
Briefly they belong to:
Richard Bold of Bold. This has the date 1610 and his initials at the base. His cousin, Sir Thomas Bold, Knight, is on the roof pennant. Edward Eccleston is to the north side of the nave, and Thomas Gerard is nearest to the chancel arch on the south side of the nave. John Ogle, Esquire, Lord of the Manor of Whiston, is the next along and is also carved on the end of the hammer beam above. Francis Watmough of Micklehead is also on the south wall of the nave. On the wall of the south aisle are the arms of Thomas Tyldesley, a lawyer and a barrister (hence T.T.At. at the base of his coat of arms) and Henry and Mary Byrom.
And last but not least, William Stanley, the 6th Earl of Derby, is on the east end of the south wall. This coat of arms shows the arms of Stanley and De Vere. William was married to Elizabeth De Vere.