The reredos behind the altar was presented to the church in 1891 by Mrs Evans, in memory of her late husband, William Lees Evans.
The centre panel depicts the Crucifixion, with Jesus’ mother, Mary, on the left and Saint John on the right. The four major prophets of the Old Testament prophets are either side of the centre panel.
The altar rails were removed in 1641, along with other church valuables, by order of the House of Commons. By 1642, Prescot was one of the Royalist garrisons during the English Civil War. After the death of Thomas Cromwell and the restoration of Charles II, Anglicanism was restored in 1660-1662, and the altar rails were returned.